Your Voice in Ulster County and Candidate for Legislator, District 23 (Hurley & Woodstock)
Ulster County Legislator Jonathan Heppner, who at age 29 is the youngest serving member of the Legislature, represents the 23rd District that includes the entire Town of Woodstock in addition to West Hurley and Glenford in the Town of Hurley. He is currently running for re-election.
Heppner’s top priority during his first term has been using his deep roots in the community and professional experience to bring new energy, new ideas and long-term solutions to county government and our community. During his first term, Heppner worked with his colleagues to lower county property taxes, take greater action to combat the opioid crisis, increase County investment in the Arts to further protect our environment.
During his first term in the Ulster County Legislature, Heppner has:
- Supported lower county property taxes for both Woodstock and Hurley in the county budget while maintaining critical services.
- Co-sponsored legislation and supported efforts to combat the Heroin and Opioid crisis, including a policy to raise additional revenue for education and prevention, creating a Family Advocate to help individuals and families navigate insurance and other issues while seeking treatment and supporting local advocacy groups.
- Successfully sponsored legislation to increase funding for the Arts in Ulster County by 10% and help spur our local economy.
- Advocated for local environmental issues including opposing the Pilgrim Pipeline and plans to anchor oil barges along the county’s Hudson River shores.
- Co-sponsored legislation to strengthen Ulster County’s human rights laws to ensure that ALL people are protected and given equality under the law.
- Led the effort to oppose a repeal of the Affordable Care Act that helps cover nearly 20,000 county residents and provides almost $3 million in direct funding to the county.
During his first term, Heppner has served on the Energy and Environment Committee and the Public Health and Social Services Committee. He also serves on the Climate Smart Committee, Ulster Coalition Against Narcotics (UCAN) and the Railroad Advisory Committee.