Candidate for Ulster County Legislator, District 18 (Hurley & Marbletown)
I am a life-long Democrat. I stand as a Democrat or I will not stand at all.
Government of the people, by the people and for the people rings as true today as when these words were immortalized in a solemn, 272-word speech that lionized the sacrifice at one of our nation’s most defining moments. It is a constant reminder that the forces that shape our every day lives tend to be those events that are far removed from our narrow political scope. It remains a challenge to our parochial mindset to think beyond the present, to truly embrace the meaning of working in the public’s interest. The task is worthy beyond words today as it was then.
I am in my 8th year as a member of the Marbletown Town Board, first elected in November 2009. Currently, I am the Board’s liaison to the Environmental Conservation Commission (ECC), the Historical Preservation Commission (HPC) and the Town’s transfer station. Highlights of my tenure include:
- Passage of one of NYS most comprehensive bans on hydraulic fracking and the use of fracked brine for de-icing purposes on Town roads.
- Conclusion of the Town’s first street light survey as part of the Town’s plan to replace existing bulbs with energy efficient LED fixtures;
- Marbletown recently installed its first electric vehicle charging station at the Community Center with grant money;
- The Historical Preservation Commission now has six locally landmarked buildings representing the area’s rich historical past.
- Ulster County Democratic Committee
- Marbletown Democratic Committee
- Working Families Party
- Ulster People
- NYS Nurses Association
- Sierra Club Mid-Hudson